We believe that some property owners do not understand the importance of pointing and pointing repair services. The mortar between bricks is an essential attribute and has a great impact on the overall quality of a wall. Itís a substance that is softer than brick and at some point will erode due to aging or weathering. Natural decay, weathering and pollution are all damaging to London facades as well as unattractive and should be considered in your home maintenance plans.
Most homeowners do notice the open joints around the mortar bed but do not comprehend the damage it can cause externally and internally. Some will carry out a DIY repointing job themselves but if inexperienced in the trade, we would suggest using a professional who understands the process and materials. Pointing is a labor intensive job that requires manual work, as there is no automated way to do it.
Brief Repointing process:
1. Remove old pointing with hammer and chisel
2. Clean or brush out gap between brick/stone
3. Mix mortar There are a wide range of colours and textures that can be achieved to match the original materials. Homes built during the Victorian period and earlier used lime mortar
4. Repointing is usually applied from the top of the wall downwards. The vertical joins between are fill as well as the horizontals, overlapping at the joints. The mortar is then left to nearly dry. A wire brush is used to take of the excess mortar and leave a face joint.
5. Some brick repair and replacement work may be necessary
Contact Michael for Pointing Services or Pointing Repair services.
We serve the local communities enhancing their properties and the life of the residents living in the community. We are honest, reliable and trustworthy but do not take our word for it! We will happily connect you to previous clients who may allow you to view our work and provide a genuine endorsement.
With our expertise we will advise clients on the best process for their needs and at a price that is reasonable. We make sure the client is aware of where we are in the process at all times or if there is a delay due to the unforeseen. It is important to us that the client is fully aware of what is occurring and when, as customer satisfaction is essential!
MR Pointing and Brickwork believe in protecting our clients, ourselves and members of the general public by holding full public liability insurance. For contractors we have CIS (Construction Industry scheme) identification.
Contact Michael now for a no obligation quotation.